This summer my girls’ young women leaders challenged them to read the Book or Mormon in 90 days. My girls challenged me to join them also. The point of this is I was reading from
1 Nephi 11:36 – “And it came to pass that I saw and bear record, that the great and spacious building was the pride of the world; and it fell, and the fall thereof was exceedingly great. And the angel of the Lord spake unto me again, saying: Thus shall be the destruction of all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people , that shall fight against the twelve apostles of the Lamb.”
Pride is a huge problem for the world. We have seen what pride has done over and over again to the Nephites and the Lamanites. If it can have that huge of an impact on nations then just think of the damage that can happen in a marriage. One cannot have pride and be reflecting the light of Christ. Our goal in this life is to become more like Christ and that does not include Pride.
President Benson listed some scriptures that described pride.
1. Selfishness is one of the more common faces of pride.
2. Contention is another face of pride.
3. The proud do not receive counsel or correction easily.
4. Defensiveness is used to justify and rationalize.
5. The proud do not receive counsel or correction easily.
6. The proud depend upon the world to tell them if they have value or not.
There is not place for pride as described above in marriage. You often hear people say that “marriage is fifty-fifty.” But in reality it is necessary to give 100% at all times in a marriage. That means that it is necessary to give 100% of oneself to another person. If pride is involved one really only thinks of themself.